The other day, I decided to bust open one of my Cube World cubes to see what’s inside and to begin a plan to hack it. For those who don’t know, they’re little cubes with digital stick men living in them. They come in different characters and you can put a couple cubes together to make them interact like below:
Anyway, I’ve had them for about 6 months and I had been meaning to pull one apart and play with it, so I did. Here’s how they come apart:
(This is at your own risk)
1. Unscrew the back screw and remove the back panel / battery cover.
2. You now have access to 4 tiny screws via 4 tiny holes. Unscrew them with a tiny screwdriver.
3. Carefully pull the two halves apart. Careful, they’re still connected.
4. Pull the black connector panels from the inside to the outside.
5. You should now have access to 3 new screws. Unscrew them to pull out the display.
(that’s about as far as I go for now)
Once I got it apart, I realized that although it’s cool and all, I still have no idea what kind of hack I can do to it. First, I tried turning it back on to make sure that everything worked. No problem there. Then I messed with connections, shook him up, etc. I tried all sorts of things to make him do anything other than what is expected out of the box, to no avail. Then I connected him to another Cubie the right way, the wrong way, forwards, backwards, etc. Other than them both getting pissed off and duking it out, everything was fine.
(The whole set of full-sized images is here.)
As you can see, I haven’t accomplished anything too exciting yet. This is where I want your help. What should I do (or try to do) to him to make him work in a much different way than intended? I’m open to any suggestions, but if I wind up with something cool, I’ll give it away here later, so I’ll be trying to NOT break it.